Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tagged.

This is a poem I wrote today for my creative writing class. I hope you like it. 
Tagged

My heart drops to my stomach
As I watch her life flash before my eyes,
A film running through my mind beginning with her
Bundled up with her father, a cozy toddler
Unaware of all the unfortunate events that would
Plague her life until every drop
Of childhood innocence was drained out of her.

The next scene I picture is her standing on a stage,
The rest of the world in shadows
As she sings “somewhere over the rainbow”
For the church play,
So nervous, but so in love with the music
In the days before she was told that
Her dreams and passions were less important
Than the money she could make getting a ‘real job.’

The image develops into her playing in the snow
The last bits of light left in her eyes shining more brightly
Than they ever have since.
She’s building a snowperson and creating
Scattered snow angels in the backyard,
So beautiful, her brightly colored winter clothes
Against the white of the blizzard
Before she is covered and blends in
Starting to disappear.

Tears well in my eyes
Blurring my lenses
Causing me to lose my focus,
And then jump forward to
one single frame that reveals that she is no longer
Anything I expected her to be.

Her secrets exposed,
This picture,
Taken in a room filled with smoke
Bottle of vodka in hand,
Donned in the clothes of the man
That has his arm wrapped around her.
Her eyelids hanging low as
Her lips brush the neck of a scantily clad female that has
Jumped into the picture before the
Intoxicated photographer yelled “1…2…3!”

This is who she has become,
This is who I’ve let her be, and
This photograph,
Available for the whole world to see
My child
Pretending to be an adult
Is in no way how I expected this
Movie to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment