Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dating the Moon

I thought I liked the relationship we were building,
because, quite frankly, we are both very busy individuals,
and sometimes folks only have time for building relationships at night,
but I fell for you at your fullest,
and lost a little piece of you each day until finally
you became your best again,
not knowing that your gravitational pull is moving oceans
all over the world and
during the times that you were only slightly shining for me,
somewhere else, you are shining as brightly
and beautifully as you ever did here,
and all hours of each day aside from the 24 hours
that I get you once a month,
you are charmingly peeking over the horizon as unexpecting
strangers fall in love with you, not realizing
that this is a one night stand as they've howled and swooned
themselves exhausted until 27 days later when you return.
I thought I could deal with sharing you with the rest of your adoring fans,
but having the best of you only once a month,
for one cherished night only is beginning to wear me down,
and though you are the loveliest thing I've laid my eyes on,
whether it's a night you're all mine,
or a night that I can only catch a glimpse of you,
the night time you come to my window,
glowing and calling out my name,
I will avert my gaze and close my curtains,
for mine has never been the only name you called.

No comments:

Post a Comment